A partnership between the Chemin-du-Roy School Services Center, Desjardins and COMSEP allows the establishment of eight projects, for the current year, in schools in Trois-Rivières and the MRC des Chenaux.
Desjardins will invest $ 450,000 over the next three years to support students’ academic success through these projects. Each year, Desjardins will give a sum of $ 150,000 to the Chemin-du-Roy School Service Center to carry out projects in schools related to the objective. For the current school year, eight projects have been selected.
“In recent months, we have worked to put these projects in place to make a real difference to young people,” says David Bélanger, General Manager of Caisse Desjardins de Trois-Rivières. We targeted two priority needs, namely the use of nature and physical activity as a means of intervention and development as well as support for children and their parents to promote academic success. ”
Of the contribution from Desjardins, an annual amount of $ 55,000 is set aside for the implementation of a program for the academic success of children in poverty from grades 3 to 6, orchestrated by COMSEP. This project aims to prevent early school leaving of primary school students, to equip and support their parents with little education or illiterates in their parenting and school support role.
“We started working on this initiative before the pandemic,” says Sylvie Tardif, general coordinator of COMSEP. It allows us to help on several levels. For example, when the Cardinal-Roy school was closed, we supported parents with computer equipment and homework. About 150 families have been reached. ”
With the collaboration of the Ébyôn organization in the eastern sector of the city, COMSEP will be able to support the demand of the participating schools. Already 11 of them have joined the program for the year 2020-2021; Sports Academy, Cardinal-Roy, Curé-Chambeland, Deux-Étangs, Dollard, Laviolette, Mond’Ami, Saint-François d’Assise, Saint-Paul, Saint-Philippe and Sainte-Thérèse.
- Cardinal-Roy: Provide a living environment that integrates a variety of activities promoting healthy lifestyles such as physical activity, healthy eating, oral hygiene, sleep and personal hygiene.
- Horizon College: The main objective of the Aero + program is to interest students in learning science, technology, engineering and mathematics by introducing them to the field of aerospace.
- De la Solidarité (MRC des Chenaux): Integrate the three levels of the intervention response model pyramid in all classes of the school in order to promote student success and perseverance.
- Des Bâtisseurs: Setting up of a student radio project for 5th and 6th year students at École Monseigneur-Comtois.
- Laviolette: The school wants to set up various activities that would help develop healthy lifestyles, social skills and students’ skills. The activities are varied such as outdoor outings, tree planting, a community garden and compost and homework help.
- Les Terrasses: Creation of outdoor classrooms.
- Sainte-Thérèse: The school wishes to make an occupational therapist accessible to all students, offer homework help and workshops with specialized technicians and make team sports accessible to all young people year round.
- Versant de la Batiscan (MRC des Chenaux): Implementation of the intervention response model in all classes, creation of lunchtime activities related to reading and writing and deployment of a homework help service.