The Commission de toponymie invites Quebeckers to vote, before February 9, for their toponymic crush of the year. Awacak Street, in Trois-Rivières, is one of the 12 finalists this year.
We will recall that rue Awacak took the place of the toponym Roger-Garceau in December 2019. Roger Garceau was a teacher in the community of Manawan from 1976 to 1978. He allegedly committed sexual assaults against several children in the community . The Toponymy Committee of the City of Trois-Rivières has decided to change the name of the street.
In collaboration with the community of Manawan, the Committee chose the toponym Awacak (pronounce Awashak) which means “little being of light” in the Atikamekw language.
“It’s extremely important because it’s a powerful symbol. This is also a first gesture of reconciliation on the part of Trois-Rivières, then explained Mariannick Mercure, municipal councilor for the Forges district and member of the Trois-Rivières toponymy committee. Little being of light, that’s how they refer to children, she continues. One of the victims, who took part in choosing the new name of the street, told us that when he was a child, his little light went out following the abuse and that it still had not come back on. ”
The choice of the Toponym at first sight of the public is made from a list of twelve place names established by the Commission based in particular on the originality of the toponyms, their ability to inspire strong images and their contribution to promotion of cultural heritage.
The public’s Toponym, like that of the Commission, will be unveiled on February 11. To vote: http://www.toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/vote-toponyme/
Finalist place names
- Alley of Chafaud, Côte-Nord-du-Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent (North Shore);
- Path of the Salmon, Saint-Elzéar (Gaspésie – Îles-de-la-Madeleine);
- Fall of the Pitounes Volantes, Lac-Jacques-Cartier (Capitale-Nationale);
- Chemins-d’Été building, Vaudreuil-Dorion (Montérégie);
- Maw of the Damned, Saint-Damase-de-L’Islet (Chaudière-Appalaches);
- Petapan Lake, Lac-au-Brochet (Côte-Nord);
- Giant’s Footsteps Mountain, Saint-Siméon (Capitale-Nationale);
- Trois-Bérets Park, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli (Chaudière-Appalaches);
- Ruisseau-du-Pont-à-l’Avoine Park, Montreal;
- Place des Rochelais, Matane (Bas-Saint-Laurent);
- Awacak Street, Trois-Rivières (Mauricie);
- Rue des Paillettes-d’Or, Sherbrooke (Estrie).